top of page

ITIN vs EIN: Key Differences & Application Process

ITIN VS EIN are not the same


EIN – Employer Identification Number 

ITIN – Individual Tax Identification Number 

ITIN – Individual Tax Identification Number

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

An individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) is a tax processing number, issued by the Internal Revenue Service, for resident and non-resident aliens, their spouses, and their dependents, if they are not eligible for a Social Security number. The ITIN is a nine-digit number beginning with the number 9, has a range of numbers from 50 to 65, 70 to 88, 90 to 92, and 94 to 99 for the fourth and fifth digits, and is formatted like a Social Security number (like this: 9XX-7X-XXXX). Only individuals who have a valid tax filing requirement or are filing a U.S. federal income tax return to claim a refund of over-withheld tax are eligible to receive an ITIN. ITINs are used for tax purposes only and are not intended to serve any other purpose. For more details on the ITIN and why you need to check this blog.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

An employer identification number (EIN) is a nine-digit number issued by the IRS to identify a business entity. 

EIN can be used as a Federal tax ID to legally identify your USA-based business LLC/LLP/INC. If you are a Sole trader and resident in the USA and already have an SSN, you can use your Social Security Number.

EINs are used by business owners for these purposes:

  • Opening a business bank account: 

  • Forming an LLC and hiring employees

  • If you decide to change your organization type [Entity Classification Elections]

  • If you plan to establish business credit.  

  • Establishing pension, profit sharing, and retirement plans

  • Filing employment, excise, alcohol, tobacco, or firearm taxes.

Can I apply for an ITIN for an LLC without an EIN?

No, In order to apply for the ITIN as an LLC or LLP or Inc Member then you need a valid LLC with EIN registered first before you can proceed with an ITIN application, Having an EIN for the US Corporation is mandatory to apply for ITIN.

Some agents in the USA who assist with US company formation have been under the wrong opinion the applicant would need an ITIN to apply for EIN which is not the case (watch this video for more details). If you need to apply for EIN for a newly formed US-based LLC our team can assist. 

If you have asked to provide ITIN or to complete Form W8BEN or W-8BEN E or require assistance with ITIN application process for completion of the application, documents check, certification proving identity, foreign status the original passport via IRS Acceptance Agent. We can be of assistance for a reasonable fee. Our fee covers all the work processes listed on this blog.

For more details on the step-by-step ITIN application work process by acceptance agents please check this blog.

Our team specializes in international expatriate U.S. personal tax return services. If you need assistance with ITIN Renewal/US 1040 filing for refund claim/FATCA Compliance work/FBAR FINCEN114 Filing, ITIN/ Form W7 Application/E.I.N./Form W8BENE or Certified Acceptance Agents [C.A.A.] services/1040NR U.S. tax filing for refund claim of excess 1042S / 8288A/ 8805/ W2/ 1099. We are happy to assist our clients in a timely, efficient, and cost-effective way.



bottom of page