top of page
ITIN/Certified Acceptance Agents in UK

ITIN/Certified Acceptance Agents

Frequently Asked Questions – ITIN Applications

1) Why use a Certifying Acceptance Agent?

We have a contract with the IRS to assist with these applications, and they rely on us to certify that you are the person applying for the ITIN and that you are not a U.S. resident. We simply inform them that we have met with you, verified your identity and certified your foreign status in accordance with the procedures in place for Certifying Acceptance Agents.


If you do not use a Certifying Acceptance Agent, you have to submit original identification to the IRS, travel to the U.S. to see a U.S. notary, or travel to the nearest Consulate to have your identification verified and to prove that you are not a U.S. resident, and even then it is not guaranteed that you will have met the requirements.


We will walk you through the entire application process and assist you right through until you are assigned your ITIN. Our fee is a flat rate, regardless of the amount you are seeking to get back from the IRS. Also, you only need our services one time; your ITIN will not expire provided it is used with the IRS at least once every five years.

2) I have U.S. rental property. What supporting documentation do I need for my ITIN application?

A signed letter from the withholding agent (property manager, etc.), on their official letterhead, addressed to the IRS ITIN Operation (Austin Service Centre, P.O. Box 149342, Austin, Texas, 78714–9342) stating the following:

“This is to certify that (full legal name) has an account with (Property Management Company’s name), with account number (account number) which will be generating income during the current tax year that is subject to IRS information reporting and/or federal tax withholding Federal income tax. The applicant, therefore, is requesting an ITIN to provide us for our reporting, withholding, and distribution procedures.”

3) What is a “Tax Treaty Benefit”?

United Kingdom and the United States have a Tax Treaty in place between the two countries. The Tax Treaty allows UK Citizens to, in certain circumstances, pay reduced tax rates on income from U.S. sources, or may eliminate the need to pay U.S. tax at all. We can assist you with identifying the Tax Treaty Article Number required in the ITIN application form that applies to your circumstances.

4) How much does this ITIN service cost?

Our fee for assisting with your ITIN application as a Certifying Acceptance Agent varies with the type of application and service involved.

5) What is the difference between an ITIN and a Social Security Number (SSN)?

Some of the key differences between an ITIN and an SSN are:

· An ITIN is only an identification number for the IRS;

· The ITIN cannot be used to claim earned income tax credits;

· Having an ITIN does not change your immigration status or entitle you to legal employment in the U.S.; and

· The ITIN does not take the place of a Social Security Number (SSN) or qualify you for Social Security


6) Should I get an SSN or an ITIN?

You may be eligible for an SSN if you are physically present in the U.S. for 31 days during the current year, and 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that. You must inform our office if you think you may meet these requirements or if you think you may be eligible for a SSN for any reason.


You cannot have both an ITIN and a SSN. If you become eligible for a SSN after obtaining an ITIN, you are required to stop using the ITIN and apply for a SSN from the Social Security Administration.

7) What is an ITIN (Individual Tax Id)? 

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN - Individual Tax Id) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, example 9XX-7X-XXXX. IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA). ITIN (Individual Tax Id)s are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and non-resident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code. Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN (Individual Tax Id), unless they meet an exception.

8) What is an ITIN (Individual Tax Id) used for? 


ITIN (Individual Tax Id)s are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN (Individual Tax Id) does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITIN (Individual Tax Id)s are not valid identification outside the tax system. IRS issues ITIN (Individual Tax Id)s to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers.






bottom of page