top of page

ITIN for Foreign Person with US Business LLC/LLP/S Corp

An individual with a US LLC business?

Many foreign partners are under the wrong understanding they do not have any US tax reporting obligation, It might be worth checking your K-1s to see any reporting even if it's a loss for any particular tax year. Your share of the loss can be reported on the 1040NR tax return and carried forward to offset it against future profits.

If you are a foreign person (i.e Non-US Citizen, nonresident outside of the USA and own a US LLC business as 100% owner or partner or LLC member in any capacity you would need an ITIN to file your USA tax return, claim tax treaty benefits, to complete Form W8BEN, to open an individual US Bank account.

Types of LLC Reporting

Sole Proprietors are similar in that the profit are taxed at the individual level, but they are called “disregarded entities” instead of “passthrough entities”.

C- Corps – are normally considered as “regular” corporations that are subject to the corporate income tax.

S- Corps – are “Small corporations” that have filed a special election with the IRS. These S Corporations are not subject to corporate income tax. Instead, they are treated similarly (but not identical to partnerships for tax purposes; The income “passes” to the owners. Thus, they are often called Pass-through entities. When the income is passed to individual owners the 1040NR US tax return needs to be filed with a valid ITIN.

The distinction between a C and an S-corporation is purely with regard to the way they are taxed.

Even though any type of corporation is first formed under the laws of a particular state. The profits of the corporations are taxed in different ways under federal tax law purposes.

For the difference between an SSN and ITIN refer to this blog.

For more information on how to complete an ITIN application.

Our team specializes in international expatriate U.S. personal tax return services. If you need assistance with ITIN Renewal/US 1040 filing for refund claim/FATCA Compliance work/FBAR FINCEN114 Filing, ITIN/ Form W7 Application/E.I.N./Form W8BENE or Certified Acceptance Agents [C.A.A.] services/1040NR U.S. tax filing for refund claim of excess 1042S / 8288A/ 8805/ W2/ 1099. We are happy to assist our clients in a timely, efficient, and cost-effective way.



bottom of page